The boys and I have been potty training now for a little over a week. Both of them are doing great! I attribute that success to a few things. First of all, they are OLD. They are 3 and a half. Second, they asked to do it themselves (after much talking it up from me for a few weeks before.) And third, the proper equipment. There’s not a lot of equipment there, but what I have works for us.
- 2 small potties. My house boasts 3 toilets. But with two people potty training and the rest of us, sometimes all the bathrooms are occupied at the same time. We have two small potties where the boys can access them very fast.
I like the potties that have a back and a bowl that lifts out. I have two different colors and each boy has his OWN potty. This has also been a big help.
- Underwear. Batman Underwear!
I only put on batman underwear on in the morning. They get to put a marble in their behavior jar when they are still wearing their batman underwear at bedtime. We also have basic underwear for when they have an accident. 10 marbles in their jar gets them a batman toy!
- Pull-Ups. We’re still new at this. And sometimes we still have to leave the house. So I won’t have to worry about finding a bathroom at that exact moment, we have pull ups.
I could continue to use the diapers I have but they hate to lay down and have it taken off them. They want to stand up now like big boys! Pull ups are just so much easier.
- Skittles. I let the boys pick out their own rewards. Pirate picked Skittles
, Professor picked peanut butter M&Ms.
Slowly, both of them have wanted only Skittles.
- Baby Legs. It’s been cold here. In fact, this weekend, we had the coldest day on record! Only 50 degrees! And that’s just not a good temperature to be hanging out in a shirt and underwear all day. Enter baby legs!
They are really cute leg warmers that go up to mid thigh on them. They help with the potty training because now the boys don’t have to fight with pants AND underwear when they need to go in a hurry. And their legs stay warm. Bonus perk? They add another layer under their regular clothes and will help with keeping them warm as the temps just get colder!
We’re still working on no accidents (both had a perfect day yesterday!) and it hasn’t been too bad. But I am glad I waited SO long to start them. If only cleaning my living room carpet once is the only accident I have (and what an accident it was!!), I’ll call it great.