So do you guys remember my Pro/Con list I was making a few days ago? Okay, it wasn’t a few days ago. It was almost a month ago! Well, okay, so maybe you don’t remember. But for those who do (or have clicked on the link), here is the reason for the pro con list.
Juice has been offered a job in another state. This state in fact. So a major cross country move may be in our future. Juice has not accepted the job. We have been weighing the options and making our pro/con lists. The more lists we make, the more we seem to be leaning toward going. Want to know the top 3 things on each of our lists?
- Closer to our families. It would be in a day’s drive (a very, very long day!) to our families. We could visit more often than once a year. Our kids could know the joy of actually knowing their cousins.
- Our house would hopefully have a yard. And maybe a play room.
- The ocean. And the weather. And the fact that Butterfly could have lunch outside every day.
- It’s expensive. It’s more expensive to live in the San Diego area than it is to live in the Washington DC area. We could possibly be living in an apartment without a yard. The job he would be going to is very demanding as well. He would be working very long hours. To afford a house, we may have to live farther away from his work. Which would add a long commute on top of long hours.
- We would leave our friends and our friends who are like family to us. I have never felt more connected to people here than at any other time. Our friends are amazing. And I would hate to leave them. But Juice and I knew that this was a temporary place for us. We will leave them regardless of if he takes this job or not. And we will be sad at any time to leave them.
- We would have to sell our house. Which means that we would have to do some things to the inside of the house in order to make it worthy to sell. It would have to stay clean enough to show at the drop of a hat. And with the housing market the way it is, it won’t be easy to sell.
There are, of course, other things on the list (last I checked it was at 47 pro, 39 con) but these are our top three things. This is what has me up at night wringing my hands. Do we go? Do we stay? I don’t know if we can stay and have Juice be happy with his job for much longer. He needs the change. But is this the change we need/want to take? If we say no, have we passed up an amazing opportunity for his career?
Would it better our family’s situation by doing this? I see us staying in Maryland and being happy. Because we are happy here. I know we can continue to be happy because, well, we are. But I know Juice wants to use his degree. And he doesn’t do that here. And there isn’t a lot of opportunity for him to do so here. So do we take a leap and go where he will be useful? Do we take the safe road and stay? Or would staying be the leap?
I just have so many questions about this opportunity to change. Some days I want to go. Most days I want to stay.
And all days I’m stressed over it.