Tonight we celebrated my 31st birthday with birthday pancakes (cake batter cooked like pancakes with runny icing on top and candles) and a few fun phone calls.
I love that the kids were so excited to help me blow out the candles. I wanted to do it several times because it would make me and them happy.
It’s good to have a birthday.
my birthday birthdays
Juice and I started talking about birthday presents for the kids around February. Actually, from February to May, I have 8 birthdays in my family. Dad, Mom, Brother, Juice, etc. So I sit down one afternoon and plan everything I’m going to get for all those birthdays and start shopping.
This year, I thought the kids would like super hero capes. What little kid doesn’t like a super cape to run around in and go “super fast!” as Professor likes to say.
Since I am far from crafty, I turned to the Internet to price out some of those things. About 10 minutes into my search, I thought, “You know, I know someone who is REALLY crafty with a sewing machine. I wonder…would Valinda do this?”
Several excited emails and texts later, and Valinda did! We have these beauties!
The kids have not taken them off since the party. Super heroes at the garden? Yep. Super heroes at the school drop off? You bet.
The big surprise in the package? Capes for Juice and me!
Now we are a super family.
As if you didn’t know that one already.
Want one of these beauties for yourself? If you ask my friend Valinda R-E-A-LL-Y nice, I bet she’d make you one too! I think she quoted me $17 for these, but you’ll have to ask her for the details. Here is her blog, and her contact info:
Also, she does pretty amazing princess dresses. If you want one of those too.
all 3 kids, birthday parties birthdays, presents, the family
Last year I went to BlogHer in New York City. And we had SUCH a fun time. I don’t think I ever mentioned that I won something huge there. A birthday party from PBS Kids Sprout (yes, the tv station) Barney and Chica.
And since my kids birthdays are 3 weeks apart, I decided to have a huge party for all 3 of them and celebrate with all of our friends!
PBS Sprout was great to work with, and really all I had to do was show up. And tell our friends where the party was. That was sort of a problem, because we couldn’t find a place to accommodate Barney! Eventually we did find a place and everyone had a grand time!
First off was Chica and one of their morning hosts, Sean. This was so much fun! They performed for awhile, and all the kids laughed and played with Sean and Chica. Then they got to come up and meet them, which was my favorite part. Both Sean and Chica were so engaging with the kids and my kids LOVED them.
A story, some “Chica-cize” and visiting with friends made us all hungry! We had an awesome lunch, thanks to the lovely people at Marriott (where we also had the party.) Mac and cheese, mini pizzas, and mini burgers, along with some salad and juice. It was all so tasty.
While we waited for Barney to get ready, we played Simon Says, with Butterfly (the birthday girl) leading it.
Then Barney, who sang and danced for us. You could tell the kids were VERY excited to see Barney and meet him.
Butterfly almost knocked him over with the force of her hug, and Professor held his hand and said, “It’s you!”
Pirate, on the other hand, wanted N.O.T.H.I.N.G. to do with the big purple dinosaur.
Oh he loved watching him. But coming up close to him, no way!
After meeting Barney, we enjoyed cupcakes from Lilly Magilly’s Bakery. They were amazing! I enjoyed them for several days later too.
Then it was time to go home. PBS Kids Sprout did a great job, and I feel very lucky to be able to give my kids such an amazing party with all their friends.
Do you want to join in on the fun? PBS Kids Sprout gave me some extra goody bags to give away! I have 10. Just leave me a comment how many you want!
Thanks PBS Kids Sprout and Barney, Sean and Chica for a wonderful party!
PS- Thanks so much to Lolli who took all these pictures and edited them so well, even though the light was really bad in the room. Lots of red! Check out her blog too for more pictures from the party.
Hosted by Cecily and Lolli
birthday parties birthdays, parties
Happy Birthday to Butterfly! I don’t know why, but it seems her birthday is kind of different than the boys’ birthday. Oh sure, on the boys birthday I became a mother to multiples, but on Butterfly’s birthday, I became a mother.
And after years and years of TRYING to have a kid, it was a big day. Today is Tuesday. Butterfly was born on Tuesday. We’ve now come full circle to that day. The significance is not lost on me today.
Here are 6 things that I love about my newest 6 year old!
- I love how kind she is to others. Always. She is always helping someone. She always thinks the best of people. When other kids are mean to her (I see it rarely), she is never mean back. In fact, she doesn’t even realize that they are being mean to her. She just doesn’t see it. That is a rare quality in a person and one I hope she never looses.
- I love how full of life she is. She is almost always happy and skipping around. She is loud, full of vigor and strength. I look at her often and think that she comes from good pioneer stock. I could totally see her walking behind a covered wagon for miles and miles. She is one strong, exuberant girl. And she normally likes to be in the lime light. But today, she had a rough day at school because people kept saying happy birthday to her. Sad to cry at school on her birthday. And over such a fun thing too!
- I love her eyes. And her 7 tiny freckles sprinkled on her nose. I love how she has a cow lick right between her eyebrows and how tiny her mouth is when it’s shut. That is a rare thing. I love her dimple. Love it. It seriously makes me smile every time I see it flash. I love that she has my hands and my feet.
- I love how giving she is. She is always wrapping up pretend presents for me and leaving them for me to find or giving them to me in a big flourish. Sometimes several times in a row. I love that she always wants to draw pictures for other people. I love that she started the trend in her classroom to draw picture presents for her friends and now everyone does it. I love that she gives her extra time in the classroom (which she has a lot of, not surprising) to a friend who is struggling to read. She walks him through his sounds and congratulates him when he sounds out a hard word. I love that by doing that, she sounds just like me.
- I love that she is playful. She is always playing with things or telling stories to herself in her head. I love that she has kind friends who are happy to go along with her hugely detailed and entertaining stories. I love that her brothers perk up considerably when she is home and she allows them to play with her. Most of the time. I love her love of movies and the fact that she combines her stories from those of movies and makes “the story better.”
- I love that she makes friends where ever she goes. We went out to lunch today for her birthday during her lunch/recess hour. She chose to go to McD’s and get a toy. Okay. I picked the one that has a play place in it and let them play more than they ate. (Because the boys had to come too!) She instantly made a friend with another boy who was there and had him, his 2 little sisters, and the boys all following her around in some elaborate chase game that I did not understand. They had a ball. She gave this boy a hug and wanted to know if we could play with him again another day. I got his mom’s info while they were playing and so we might! She makes friends, and helps me make friends too.
I think 6 is going to be an amazing year!
Butterfly birthdays birthdays, Butterfly
Happy Mother’s Day (yesterday) to Juice’s Mom, Gma! Gma, you are always so giving of your time, your knowledge, and your self. I can only aspire to do the things you have done in your life.
Happy Mother’s Day (yesterday) to my awesome Mom! I got really blessed in the mom department. And Mom, I hope you like your hair thing-y when I send it to you. You are patient, kind, loving, fun to be with, and thoughtful. I know I can always talk out my many (many many many) schemes with you. And you help me see all sides. Thanks!
And a Happy Last Day of Being 5 to the girl who made me a mother. I am so lucky to have this girl in my life. What a beautiful, happy, tender hearted little Miss. I can’t believe she will be 6 tomorrow!
Butterfly birthdays, Mother's Day birthdays
Because three years ago I was huge and on the couch, begging the boys to stay in and then GET OUT in the same breath…you guys get this picture!
I love those little burrito babies.
And the little boys they turned into!
2 boys-double trouble birthdays, twins
Today we went here:
(Baltimore for those who don’t know.)
And rode this:
And we saw this:
All because of my birthday!
Presents are a part of a birthday celebration so I thought I’d invite all of you to join the party! You have a chance to win a $45 gift card from CSN Stores. They have EVERYTHING. You can get modern bedding, kitchen chairs (like we did a few weeks ago) or even luggage. You would have a whole $45 to spend on whatever!
Just leave a comment on here telling me what you would like to get. (It might also be polite to wish me a happy birthday, seeing as how it IS my birthday today.)
As a bonus entry, you can go vote for my picture at Parenting By Dummies. I’m a finalist! Just come back after you vote and comment to let me know how much you love my picture. Oh, be sure to say that you voted too!
Contest ends one week from today, September 20th. I will announce the winner on the 21st. And you can come back and comment (and vote!) once a day until next Monday.
PS- You might come back tomorrow for ANOTHER present. And the next day for another. Because I want to give away 3 presents for each decade.
my birthday birthdays