4th of July Road trip, part 3

1 Comment


In the morning, after a nice breakfast of pancakes (they had an automatic pancake maker in the hotel.  It was AMAZING!) and eggs and cinnamon rolls, we headed out for a few last sight seeing things in Palmyra.  MusicMan and his family had only a few hours before they had to drive back to New York City, so we went to see the printing press that printed the first Book of Mormon.

Bro and Lev checking out the books

MusicMan and Lev trying to decide what books to buy.

Getting ready

Butterfly got to be the helper and show everyone how the process of printing books was like in the 1800s. Here she is, holding up the letter from Joseph Smith asking to print the Book of Mormon with that specific press.

Setting the type

First, you have to set the type. The type is very, very small. Plus, you have to do everything backwards!

Little proofreader

Professor is checking the type and has found it all to be okay. As far as he knows.

Inking the letters

Once the type is set, the page is ready to be printed. First, you have to put ink on the letters. Butterfly is busy inking the type. Next, the printer presses the paper on the inked type and then the paper is hung to dry.

Once the paper is dry, it is folded several times. The paper is then sewn into a book and the extra edges are cut off like Cappy is showing us.

Cutting the paper

Then, you have to glue the spine, and wrapped in leather.  Pirate (and Blankie) show us how they glued the spine together.  They had to let the glue dry in the press or the glue would run down between the pages.

Painting on the glue

Once it is ready, you have to put a title on it! Butterfly is picking out the letters to stamp the title on the spine.

Stamping the cover

Once we were done with seeing how the Book of Mormon was printed, we said our goodbyes to MusicMan. It was really great to see my brother and his family again. I wish we lived a little closer and could get together more often!

Since Flower and the kids and I had another hour or so, we decided to go have the tour of the Smith Farm. It was neat to see where Joseph Smith would have grown up and see the area. The kids are looking out the back door of the log house, into the Sacred Grove.

Seeing the Sacred Grove

And of course, you can’t go to the farm without doing a little work!

Working on the Smith Farm

The tour was interesting, and it was great to be there with the kids and Flower!

All of us Smith Farm 2011

We grabbed some lunch and headed back home. We were hoping to make it back to see the fireworks in our town with Juice.

Did we make it? You’ll have to see next time!


One Comment (+add yours!)

  1. Valinda
    Jul 14, 2011 @ 15:40:47

    That is so cool!


Leave a Reply