Question of the Week: Holiday Traditions

This week’s question at the Multiples and More site is all about Holiday Traditions.

What are your family’s holiday traditions?

Our family’s holiday tradition starts the day after Thanksgiving.  We pull out the tree and all the ornaments and the lights.  Then we go to town!  I take down several pictures to hang decorations.  We move our couch out of the way to fit our tree in the living room.  It’s a day full of holiday music, oohs and ahhs, and having fun as a family.

On December 1st, we start our nightly chocolate advent calanders that I bought at Trader Joes.  This year I am trying to tell them a story and sing a song along with the chocolate.  But I think the stories I have are just too old for them and they loose intrest quickly.  I’m too lazy to find more age appropriate stories to read.  I’ll hang on to the ones I have and the kids will grow into them.

On Christmas Eve, we watch A Christmas Story and eat Chinese Food from our favorite take out place.  In years past, just Juice and I did this.  But I think Butterfly is old enough to enjoy the movie this year so she’ll probably join us.  Juice and I stay up way too late getting the presents out.  We take pictures of the tree, the presents and the full stockings.  We then drop the stockings off in the kids’ room to keep them occupied for a bit so we can get maybe another half hour of sleep in the morning.

On Christmas day, we let the kids play with their presents from Santa for awhile.  This usually keeps them occupied for a long time.  We typically call my parents and set the webcam up so they can watch the kids open presents too.  That takes awhile too.  The setting up and the opening of presents.

Once we are done with that, we have breakfast of cinnamon rolls, bacon and eggs.  We open more presents, and then have a little lunch of crackers, small sausages and oranges.  The boys go down for their nap and we spend the afternoon watching new movies and playing new games.

When they wake up, we typically still have some kind of presents to open and dinner to have!  We have a ham and baked potatoes and rolls.  Sometime in the evening we call Juice’s family where ever they have gathered together (where is that going to be this year?) and then we call my Nana at her house.

The kids get put to bed late and full of candy.  Juice and I collapse exhausted on the couch and vow we will pick up the next day.

Other traditions we do around the holiday season:

Whew…we are busy duing Christmas!  I love it!

1. Ida Cole
    Dec 05, 2010 @ 21:59:25

can i come over for cinnamon roles?????

Dec 07, 2010 @ 23:44:48

Absolutely! We’d love to have you!

2. Nina
    Dec 05, 2010 @ 22:24:10

we do an advent calendar but this year I made one, I got those little stockings and sewed 24 of them to a table runner and then filled them with chocolate and tiny ornaments for our tiny tree. I also plan on (if not this year, at least next) filling them with an idea/action a day for us for christmas…some people fill them with scriptural readings too but I’m still trying to figure out the best way to teach my son about Jesus (we did get some books about him at the thrift store) and God and I think scriptural readings would be too intense. we have the little people nativity scene and set that up with an advent wreath and several other nativity scenes. we sing christmas carols everyday and in the car. we drive around and look at lights. christmas eve he gets a set of pjs and we set out our shoes on dec 5 for st. nick with our list (my mother is german and we did this growing up). we get a pic with santa. we made cookies and now need to decorate them and we made dog biscuits for all the dogs in our life. we decorated christmas cards and I need to get a collage together to send those out.

Dec 07, 2010 @ 23:44:22

Wow you are crafty! That sounds very cool. I’m not that crafty…we buy our advent calenders. But maybe one day I’ll get a really nice one to fill as I like. You’d be surprised at what kids pick up on with the scriptural readings. It’s hard to say what my kids get, but at least they are getting used to the language and seeing us read. I LOVE the idea of celebrating St. Nick on the 5th! We might think about doing that next year. Thanks!

3. Heather
    Dec 06, 2010 @ 00:25:56

I love the chinese on Christmas Eve to a Christmas story! I bought the Little People nativity this year and I plan on letting it be the gift my son opens on Christmas eve along with his Christmas pjs. Next year when he’s a little bit older to understand I want to do our Advent calendar with a craft weekly to go with it. Thanks for stopping by my blog today and offering some great ideas here on Christmas traditions!

Dec 07, 2010 @ 23:42:03

We have that little people nativity! My kids love it all through December. Right now, everyone, including the animals, are lined up to take their turn seeing Jesus. And I think one of the donkeys may be eating Jesus’ bed.

Thanks for stopping by!

4. Amy
    Dec 06, 2010 @ 22:17:36

Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. We don’t have any traditions yet, but I am hoping to start some this year. I want to start an advent calendar but I think my kids are too young yet. We did start making some gifts this year and I would love to continue that every year! I also want to take them into Boston and see the lights on the commons like I did when I was little.

Dec 07, 2010 @ 23:40:46

Those sound like great traditions! We just started the advent calender this year so you’ve got a few years to look forward to it. Nice to see you here on my blog!