Weather, Beeping, 21

It’s Thursday again.  And that means my story!  This week is all about my preschool/Kindergarten years.  And frankly, I don’t remember much.

But there are stories that I feel like I should remember because I was told so many times.

Like that my first word was “Hot!” or “Cracker!”  My first sentence was “More cocoa?”  I walked the first time the day before my first birthday.

Or that my older brother and I emptied a whole box of cereal on the floor in the front room.  We had a little push car that you put blocks in.  It had a steering wheel with a horn that beeped.  We (my brother and I) called it the beep-beep.  We drove the beep-beep all over that cereal in the front room.  What a mess!

We went to Disneyland when I was not yet 3 years old.  My parents were thrilled to get me in for free.  We went with neighbors and good friends of my parents.  Their kids were so bratty and everyone had a horrible time.  (Good thing I don’t remember this one!)

Universal Studios 1983

My 3rd Christmas (I was 2 years old), Denver had a HUGE snow storm.  It snowed everyone in.  My parents walked to the grocery store down the street.  They put the food in garbage sacks and drug them on top of the snow to get home.

Christmas Day Blizzard 1982

When I was 2 years old, my Aunt got married. I was her flower girl. In my family, we give a horse shoe to the bride to wish her good luck. I was very unhappy about the whole process and threw it at her head instead of giving it to her nicely. My mom took this picture of my brother, me and my cousin staring hard at the wedding cake. My mom could never tell if I had actually put my fingers in the cake or not.

Wedding Cake Aug 1982

I loved to play with My Little Ponies and Little People. I loved animals.

horse at Santa Claus Village July 1985

I was a tiger for Halloween one year, wearing the same hat that my mom had when she was a little girl. Butterfly wore the same hat too!

at Halloween 1982

Things that I DO remember:

My neighbor spent most of her days at our house. My mom watched her while her mom was at work. She was only a few months younger than me. She also had an older sister. Our families spent a lot of time together.

buried in the sand May 1985

She and I even took dance lessons together. We started Daisy Girl Scouts together. But I made the cut off for school and she didn’t. So I went to school a year before she did.

dance picture 1985

My first day of Kindergarten was the first day of the new school being opened. The school was so new, it didn’t have a proper name. We had too many Kindergartners that year so they put us out in the portable classrooms. There was no bathroom in those portables. I remember having to line up and walk through the snow to the big school to have a bathroom break. My teacher was named Mrs. Jack.

first day of school 1985

Every year we drove to Utah to visit my grandparents. My Nana bought this charming little cardboard house that we “sold” candy out of every time. That is, until we left it out in the rain one year and it got ruined.

the Sees Candy House July 1985

Every year at Christmas time we would ride the horse drawn carriages through downtown Denver to see the Christmas lights. When I was 4, we did it for the first time.

Family Christmas 1984

I remember spending a lot of time with my brother. I didn’t mind it. We were so cute together! He was a great friend and always willing to play Voltron with me.

Sailor Christmas

Or maybe I was willing to play Voltron with him!

Dancing 1983_edited-1

I remember being terrified of the beeping sound that a tractor makes when it backs up. Terrified. To this day, it still makes me a little nervous. Maybe I was terrified of it backing over me? I have no idea.

But look at this little lady!

Age 4

This little lady said that there was 2 weathers when the sun was shining and it was raining. This little lady said that in church, they should say mommies and daddies too, not just Brothers and Sisters.

This little lady is growing up!

Check in next Thursday for my next installment of my story. Go to Mommy’s Piggy Tails to read more stories or find out how to join us.

1. rainsplats
    Oct 14, 2010 @ 22:58:09

I *love* all these pics of lil you – you look so you!! I don’t know why…but I keep thinking you were the oldest. You don’t seem like a younger child :p
    Can’t believe you threw the horseshoe…soooo funny…tehehe

Oct 16, 2010 @ 08:59:13

Nope, baby of the family right here. :) And I can believe I threw it…

2. Naomi J.
    Oct 14, 2010 @ 23:36:17

I see your Butterfly in you. Especially in the Christmas portrait of you and your brother.

Oct 16, 2010 @ 08:58:43

I see that one too! Love having my own mini-me.

3. Dad
    Oct 14, 2010 @ 23:50:51

You kids were great in pictures, always smiled and acted so nicely. You were so cute!

We liked each other even then. You sitting on my lap in the carriage and holding my hand at Universal Studios. You used to sleep on my chest when I was taking a nap.

Animals! You ALWAYS loved them. I swear you prefer them to humans.

I miss those days at times. You kids were great after you were potty trained ((wink)).

Love this!

Dad

Oct 16, 2010 @ 08:58:23

Yes, having a young family myself, I see how much fun it is. :)

4. Camille
    Oct 15, 2010 @ 00:26:11

Hi Catherine

This was a fun post to read… and my hubby is very cute in that picture, I see our kids in him there.

Oct 16, 2010 @ 08:57:56

Yes, I see your kids in him too! I know my mom has a more of pictures of him as a kid if you’re interested…

5. Mom
    Oct 15, 2010 @ 00:39:33

That was alot of snow! This turned out really nice and it was fun to go through the pictures with you. Camille’s right – I can see not only her kids in these pictures, but yours and Andrew’s as well. Can’t wait for next week!

Oct 16, 2010 @ 08:57:25

Thanks for getting all these pictures for me mom. Looking forward to next week too as I actually have some of my own memories.

6. lavender
    Oct 15, 2010 @ 09:18:55

That was so nice. I do have to say your parents have not changed much. Still looking like the young couple they still are. Please say hi to them.

Oct 16, 2010 @ 08:56:21

Since they read all of these comments, you just did. :)

7. Aunt Lisa
    Oct 15, 2010 @ 11:13:51

At least you didn’t pour milk on the cereal and drive your beep-beep through it like your cousin did when he was 2! However, that was a story I enjoyed and I don’t think I ever heard it before. Evidently, throwing the horseshoe is okay since your uncle and I have been married for over 28 years! We had a picture of me holding (incredibly tightly) onto your arm so that it looks like you are giving it to me (unfortunately, it got lost with the rest of my wedding pictures). Luckily, you couldn’t tell I had your arm in a vice grip to keep you there and amazingly, you didn’t let loose with your piercing scream.
    Very fun post and I enjoyed seeing all those pictures!

Oct 16, 2010 @ 08:55:45

I think I’ve seen that picture before Aunt Lisa! Sad it got lost though.

8. Lolli
    Oct 15, 2010 @ 12:03:05

Oh my! I love seeing so many pictures of you as a kid! I especially see the boys in your pics…maybe because they are closer to your age in the pics? It’s uncanny!

Oct 16, 2010 @ 08:55:11

Really? I don’t see it…

9. Becky
    Oct 15, 2010 @ 15:55:12

I enjoyed looking at your pictures! The snow looks like a lot of fun (probably not for the grown ups though!). Visiting via Mommy’s Piggy Tales.

Oct 16, 2010 @ 08:54:49

Thanks for visiting Becky! That snow story is one of the most told in my family. Looks like fun for me too!

10. Gianna
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 23:24:54

You threw the horseshoe at her HEAD?
    That is so funny!
    You were an adorable little girl!

Oct 22, 2010 @ 23:05:42

Yes, well…I was 2, what can I say? Thanks for stopping by Gianna!