First Day of Kindergarten

In Butterfly’s own words:

“First, we had to wait a long time for everyone to be there.  It was really boring.  But then we went up to my classroom, you know the one we went to?  And we have Choice time!  I played with play dough.  I don’t get to play with play dough very often, do I?  I should play with that during every Choice time.

And lunch was cool.  I didn’t get to finish everything because everyone was being too loud and annoying me.  Recess was fun.  I played a lot on the slide.

Oh!  I got to go see the nurse again too.  She’s really nice, but she made me drink some yucky water and swish it around in my mouth and make the ‘rhrhr’ sound in my throat.  I went because I was coughing so much.

My backpack was too big for my cubby.  You shouldn’t put so much stuff in it.  And I didn’t know you gave me tissues!  I could have used them today but I don’t know how to open the box.

It was a fun day.  I want to go back tomorrow.”

She came running out of school all smiles and happy to see me.  I’m not quiet sure what happened to her back pack though…everything was gone from it except the tissues and the baby wipes.  Don’t you think that if they didn’t need these things, they wouldn’t ask for them?  I can’t figure out why they came back.

Also, if they send Butterfly to the nurse, I’d like to know about it!  I thought maybe there would be a note in her backpack but there wasn’t.  Do I ask the teacher for more information?

Speaking of the nurse, Butterfly started complaining that her ear hurt about an hour after school.  By the end of dinner, she was in tears it hurt so bad.  Uh-oh.  It sounds like she has another infection.  Or maybe she was just exhausted from the day?  We’ll find out tomorrow morning.  If it still hurts her, I’m taking her to the doctor’s.

And the best way to end such a big day?  A big dish of strawberry ice cream…with a specially requested cherry.

Aug 30, 2010 @ 21:23:23

Yay! Tons of fun!! We don’t get informed about a visit to the nurse unless they had a head injury, of course they call when they’ve thrown up, have a temperature, or some other reason I need to come and collect them.

That’s odd about the wipes and tissues our school always asks for more half way through the year.

George was DELIGHTED to see Computer Girl also had her first day of school today and is sad they can’t go to the same school. I didn’t even bother explaining that Butterfly isn’t in her grade.

Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:21:47

We should totally move closer together and then they can go to school together! How does Kansas sound?

2. Jen I
    Aug 30, 2010 @ 22:09:03

At least you have a girl who will tell you about her day! Girls are so different. I can hardly get anything out of Cash! Only what I prompt: Did they show you the bathrooms? Yes. Did you read a book? Yep. I have to ask my friends who have girls what they say about school so I have any idea what is going on! That’s great that she was all smiles! Sounds successful!

Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:21:22

Haha! Boys are so different! I’m getting little nuggets of her day through out the evening too.

3. kim @ mommyknows
    Aug 31, 2010 @ 00:08:06

Yeah Butterfly! It sounds like you did really well. You look so pretty and grown up.

We don’t have school nurses here. They get sent to the school secretary who decides whether to call home or let them lay down in the breakroom on a cot. No drugs or medicines ever without parents permission. I would like to know too.

Re: the ear. Very rarely do they give drugs for ear infections here in Canada. Apparently 80+ are viral and drugs won’t help. What does help is these: http://www.similasanusa.com/products-earache-relief.cfm

They ALWAYS work with my kids. Two of them get them often (wake up in the middle of the night screaming type). Twenty minutes and they are quiet. A couple doses and they’re usually cured.

Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:20:37

I rarely take the kids into the doctor for an ear infection for medicine either! I may get those drops…they will help! The only reason why I took her this time was the discharge. Yuck!

4. The Flower Maiden
    Aug 31, 2010 @ 01:36:40

Glad it sounds like she had a good first day. Sorry to hear about the earache. I would have wanted to know about her being sent to the nurse as well. Weird. I hope tomorrow goes just as well as the first day and that her ear feels better quickly!

Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:19:34

I hope so too.

5. MandyE
    Aug 31, 2010 @ 07:40:59

I love her recap of the day…that’s such a great idea to have recorded in her own words! :)

And I also love the ice cream treat at the end of the day…sounds like a great first-day-of-school tradition!

Hope you’re doing well and surviving your baby starting Kindergarten!!!

Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:19:18

I hadn’t thought of it as a tradition! Good idea! :)

6. Kirsten
    Aug 31, 2010 @ 11:42:41

Sounds like success! Just what you want–your child coming out of school happy, and willing to talk. Has your teacher given you her email address yet? If I ever had something to communicate to the teacher I would send a quick email. It seemed to work well. I would definitely ask about the nurse thing. That’s funny she didn’t say anything.

7. Cheryl
    Aug 31, 2010 @ 23:46:23

Oh she’s such a sweet trooper with her ear and happimess regardless! Butterfly is adorable…wishing her recovery soon, and days of Choice time FULL of Play-Doh!

Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:18:43

Oh Choice Time choice has changed. Play-doh…that seems to be a one day stand.