Big Proud Smiles

Today was a big day for us.  And it was ALL about Butterfly.  Today was her kindergarten orientation.  Our baby is going to be in school!  All day!  Starting August 30th!  I’m a bit wigged out.  Is she really that old?  Didn’t she just look like this yesterday?

Nov Butterfly 6 month

Well that sweet cute baby is now big enough for school.  She was whisked away by some very enthusiastic teachers this morning and Juice and I filled out forms.  The boys went to a friend’s house.  Then we met with the principal, saw the school a little, and became overwhelmed.

There’s so much to think about with her going to school. I guess her school is very academic. They want them reading in 6 months. They do math, phonics, science, social studies every day. They also have special classes like gym, music, technology, etc one day a week. My 5 year old is going to have technology classes. I think my parents have a picture of me when I was about that age sitting in front of our brand new computer when they were super new. Now my daughter will have classes on how to use the things. Amazing.

Because we live in a very poor area, our school is allowed extra grant money for things. They have just redone the building and will have 3 new playground areas by the time she starts school. There are 56 kindergartners and if they get another one, they will have 4 classes of 14 kids each. If not, they get 3 classes of 18 (or so). I’m impressed with those numbers.

They also have a summer school program where they preview the first 9 weeks of school all through the month of July. It’s free. They give them breakfast and lunch. For free. It’s half day from 9-1pm. They bus the kids in and out. Again, for free. They strongly suggest that all the incoming kindergartners do it.

I’m torn. I want her to go, but I don’t want to give up my very last summer of having her all to myself. I want to be able to go downtown or swimming or just stay in our pjs all day long if we want to. I want to not have to worry about getting somewhere by 9am every day. I want to be in charge of her lunches.

But on the other hand, it would be great for her to try school out when there aren’t so many kids around. It would be great for her to ride the bus home every day while it’s fairly empty. It would be great for her to have some kind of school background before going into kindergarten since I’m 80% sure she will be the only child there that did NOT do preschool outside of the home.

What would you guys do?

And congrats to my good friend Rosemarie at Twice as Nice for winning the Ergo Carrier! Congrats Rosemarie and use it well with your new little one! Email me your info and I’ll send it soon.

And my LAST giveaway is still going on! Remember to make some comments because this soap is amazing!

SEED Power Travel Kit

1. rainsplats
    May 21, 2010 @ 04:19:45

I’d let her go. She’ll be fine either way, but she’s ready. R went about 4 months early to a similar program. It was really good for her.

and once we had time to miss each other, we both liked our time together even more :)

2. Mrs. Ingie
    May 21, 2010 @ 07:37:00

Wow, how exciting / terrifying! I can see wanting to keep her home, it’s your last bit of freedom with your angel girl. Is there any way you can send her for the first two weeks to get used to the process and then keep her home the last two weeks?

3. Jen
    May 21, 2010 @ 09:18:00

My honest opinion is that if you want her home, keep her home. Since you’re sending her to school, it’s the beginning of many many years of her being gone for most of the day. I think your hesitations are warranted. Personally I bit the bullet and pulled all of my kids out of school this school year for the first time. I can’t tell you how wonderful it has been to have them at home to teach them and support them. We found a small school for Alice to attend because being home wasn’t working for an 11th grader, but the others have loved it. It’s been the most wonderful thing I’ve ever done to pull my family back around me and take advantage of the time I have with them.

4. Kirsten
    May 21, 2010 @ 09:58:50

If you sign her up for the summer school, are you committed to go every day? If not, you could sign her up, and then just have her go for the first bit just to see how it goes, just to give both of you an idea of how things work. On the other hand, it definitely is nice not to have to worry about getting out the door every morning. I’m looking forward to a break of that. She is a smart little girl, and I’m sure whatever you decide will be just fine. Many of the other kids in the school probably don’t have the same type of family support that she has, and that’s why they push everyone to attend.

5. Katie
    May 21, 2010 @ 10:18:28

I am a teacher, and I must say, I would keep her home. I don’t teach the little ones, (I teach 6th grade language arts) but I am not a fan of the preschool movement, except in cases of true need (i.e., low socio-economic kids DO need the added support given by an academic based early schooling environment.)

Kindergarten originally was never meant to be a place where the kids learned how to read. It was meant to be a place where kids played and learned the social skills they will need for the rest of their schooling and subsequent life. Recent studies have shown that the number one way to have your child behind by third grade is to send them to an academic preschool versus a traditional play-based preschool or a combination of the two. (This study shows boys are at a even higher disadvantage, but girls are also affected).

Kids used to not start learning to read until 1st or 2nd grade. They learned easier and without as much stress, so it frustrates me that so many districts are ignoring the research that shows this.

Some kids are ready to read in kindergarten, and aren’t harmed, but others simply aren’t ready, and by not ready I mean their brains aren’t capable of learning it correctly. Since failing is their only option, they learn at way too young an age that reading isn’t fun and it’s just hard work and they can’t be successful.

The schools and teachers almost don’t have a choice, especially in schools that do have a lower economic base, since all kids must pass the standardized tests, so they think that starting them earlier and doing away with the “non-essential” play aspect can only help, but it just doesn’t.

I don’t mean to be such a doom and gloom commenter, but it makes me so sad to see the kids reach me and struggle with reading and hate it, and their parents come in and tell me they used to love reading. I would just advise keeping a close eye on her and make sure that her school doesn’t push her beyond what she’s ready for.

Especially keep an eye on your boys when they’re at a schooling age! Boys already lag behind in verbal skills, and with twins, you generally see some further lack of skills because they don’t need to talk to be understood. It’s a wonderful gift for them, and it’s such a blessing for them, but at the same time, it can end up causing problems later on in the classroom. If they’re forced in the lower grades to read beyond what they’re ready for, it may cause great frustration for them.

Sorry for such a long comment! I’ll simply sum it up and say, keep her home!

6. Leslie B.
    May 21, 2010 @ 10:53:59

Hi Safire!!
    I had my first one go off to kindergarten and they learn so much, that it made/makes my head swim!!!! I almost choked when you said reading in 6 months because they had my daughter reading by October and I almost DIED. Ofcourse, it was like. The child is playing….the child is swinging….the child is laughing…

Initially, I agreed with the first two comments and say let her go the first two weeks, but she may be really into it and may not want to stop…You have a spunky little girl who loves her adventures!! It will get her used to sitting down for longer periods of time for formal instruction.

Good luck and it’ll be fine, whatever you decide….
    Leslie B.

May 21, 2010 @ 11:00:06

Not that I really know your cute kid but from what I’ve “seen” of her on the blog and from what I learned on that one brief visit I would let her go. I agree with Rainsplats she will probably do very well going. Like Mrs. Ingie and Kirsten I would want to know if she has to go the whole time.

While dragging George with me all over the universe hasn’t been fun for the last 3 years it really has immersed her in the whole school experience and being on a first name basis with just about everyone makes the whole thing way easier for her to handle. If I could have let my first Kinder get used to school without being thrown in on the first day with 700 other kids I would have loved that chance.

Good luck making up your mind – can’t wait to see you all next week!!!!

8. Bruce
    May 21, 2010 @ 15:09:04

9. Safire
    May 21, 2010 @ 15:57:58

Thanks for all your input guys! She WOULDN’T have to stay the whole time if I didn’t want her to. She is still my child and if I want to pull her out after a week, I can. If I want to only send her 2 days a week, I can. At least, I’m saying I can. :)

Maybe I will just sign her up and see what happens the first few days….still undecided.

10. The Flower Maiden
    May 23, 2010 @ 01:40:01

I can totally see the wanting to keep her home. It’s what I’d want to do with Sprout. When it came down to it, I’d probably enroll her and start off doing it a couple times a week, then maybe three days a week and then closer to school starting do a full week, just to ease her in. It would be a good chance for her to get to meet her teacher and classmates and start making new friends. I’d find out if this early kinder thing is more academic in nature or more play. If it’s more academic, I’d be more inclined to keep her home and let her have one last summer of playing before all the years of education sprawl out in front of her. Also, there’s no way I’d let Sprout get on a bus, I’d still drive her there and back. But, that’s just my own paranoia. Good luck deciding! I still can’t believe she starts kinder in the fall!